Sign up to ride with us! Join the cycling team below of your preference. If your team is full, pick a team with an open seat and make some new friends! If you can’t join us for the event, please support the American Diabetes Asssociation on behalf of our event with a generous donation!
WHAT: FREE Cycling Fundraiser and Health & Wellness Fair
WHEN: Friday, May 18, 2018 from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM
WHERE: The Centre, 1800 West U.S. 223, Adrian, MI 49221
MORE INFO: Laura Gurney, (517) 438-8841
We are teaming up to support the American Diabetes Association because we want to make a difference. We are committed to participate together and raise money through this inspirational event, not just because over 30 million people in the United States have diabetes, but because so many of us personally know some of them, and want to do something to make a positive impact.
Health and Wellness Fair
The Centre is excited to partner with the following medical and health professionals to provide a valuable day of wellness resources and services for our community.
- Wellness/Risk Assessment Testing: Dana Burton, RN, Employee Health and Wellness Nurse with Promedica, will be on-site from 9am-3pm to conduct FREE biometric testing, including blood pressure, height, weight, hip/waist/neck measurements, and Dexascan osteoporosis screening.
- Diabetes Education, Management and Prevention: Diabetes Educators, Eva Salisbury, RN CDE and Julianna Moore, RN, CDE will be on-site for the ENTIRE event to provide FREE one-on-one consultation, diabetes education classes, and valuable resources and information for those that attend the event. FREE blood glucose testing will be available during the event, and vouchers for free fasting blood glucose testing to be done another time will also be provided.
- Diabetes Education Classes Offered:
- 8:30 am – Understanding Blood Glucose Monitoring
- 9:30 am – Carb Counting
- 10:30 am – Diabetes Footcare
- 11:30 am – Understanding Blood Glucose Monitoring
- 12:30 pm – Carb Counting
- 1:30 pm – Diabetes Footcare
- Promedica Veggie Mobile Fresh Produce: Stacey Tilton and Lenawee County’s very own Veggie Mobile will be on-site from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm with a “market” full of fresh, delicious, and affordable produce to fuel a healthy-eating habit. Stock up while you attend and find out how you can regularly visit this health-on-wheels resource in our community!
- MSU Extension Health and Wellness: Andrea Aguilar, M.S, Disease Prevention and Management Educator of the Health & Nutrition Institute at Michigan State University Extension, will be on-site from 8:30 am – 2:00 pm to provide one-on-one consultation and diabetes education in partnership with Promedica. Information about diabetes-friendly, Spanish-language cooking classes, diabetes education, and the resources that she offers members of our community will be provided. Andrea will additionally demonstrate how to deliciously prepare foods more healthfully with the creative use of spices.
- American Diabetes Association: On a mission to effectively manage and prevent diabetes in our nation, representatives from the American Diabetes Association will be on-site from 8:30 am – 3:00 pm. Along with cheering on the teams of riders and participants to raise funds that will further their health and wellness initiatives, the ADA will be providing diabetes risk assessments, heathy eating booklets and information, and information about preventing and managing diabetes.
- Healthy Eating and Cooking Demonstrations: Zonya Foco, RDN, National Speaker, Author, and TV Host, will join us from 8:30 am – 1:00 pm! As a registered dietitian and “America’s Nutrition Leader,” Zonya knows how to help people eat right and experience healthy life change! Stop by to chat with Zonya and experience live cooking demonstrations and taste-testing from her brand new cookbook at 9:00am, 10:00am, 11:00am, and 12:00pm! Hot-off-the press cookbooks will be available at an event-discounted price of $25, with $5 of each purchase also going to the American Diabetes Association! Learn more at www.zonya.com
- Adrian School of Massage: Christy Gagneur, LMT (ASM’s owner/director) will provide FREE chair and sports massage from 10 am – 5 pm for Spin-a-Thon participants and attendees of the event. Information about how massage can be beneficial for people with diabetes and a drawing for a free massage in ASM’s student clinic will also be available.
- Spin-a-thon for Diabetes at The Centre: The Centre has been providing leadership for this event for five years in an effort to raise awareness about prevention and effective management of diabetes in Lenawee County. Information about The Centre, classes, cycling program, wellness programs, and resources to help Centre members and guests live healthy, active lives will be available. Instructor-led and independent riding will be available during the entire event in a fun, festive, and encouraging atmosphere. A drawing for a free 3-month Centre membership will also be offered to those who participate and attend.
This is a FREE EVENT! We hope to see you there!